JAMES CRAIG FACTS
The Barque James Craig is a three-masted sailing ship owned by Sydney Heritage Fleet. The iron-hulled barque is berthed at Wharf 7, Darling Harbour, near the Australian National Maritime Museum. The ship is open to the public, and operates on trips around Sydney Harbour, and the open sea. She can carry up to 80 passengers on day trips, and is also used for charter trips and special events. She is maintained by volunteers from Sydney Heritage Fleet who perform all the roles onboard from commanding the ship to the galley crew.
The James Craig was built by Bartram, Haswell & Co. in Sunderland, England and completed in 1984. The barque was originally built as a cargo ship named Clan Macleod for Mr. T. Dunlop from Glasgow in Scotland . She was bought by Mr J J Craig of Auckland, New Zealand in 1900 and used to carry cargo across the Tasman. In 1905, she was renamed James Craig, but was retired in 1911 due to competition from steamships. From 1911 to 1918 she was used as copra hulk by the British New Guinea Development Company. She re-entered service after the First World War for a period until 1925. She was finally sunk in 1932 and beached as a wreck in Tasmania's Recherche Bay until 1973. In 1973 she was towed to Hobart for temporary repairs, before full restoration was undertaken in Sydney commencing in 1981, and completing in 1991.
|Operator:||Sydney Heritage Fleet|
|Built by:||Bartram, Haswell & Co.,Sunderland, England|
|Passengers:||80 (day trips)|