AF CHAPMAN FACTS
The af Chapman is a three-masted steel sailing ship. It is used as a youth hostel located in the centre of Stockholm, Sweden on the island Skeppsholmen. The island is connected to the city by a bridge. All the rooms onboard have bunk beds and bed linen is provided. The ship is one of the distinctive landmarks of the city.
The ship was built in 1888 by Whitehaven Shipbuilding Company in Cumbria, England. She was originally named the Dunboyne and travelled between Europe, America and Australia.. She was bought by a Swedish owner and renamed G.D Kennedy in 1915. She became the af Chapman in 1923 when was bought by the Swedish Navy, and was used as a training ship until 1934. The Navy sold it to the City of Stockholm in 1947, and it is now managed by the Swedish Tourist Association (the Svenska Turistföreningen) as a youth hostel with 136 beds.
|Operator:||Swedish Tourist Association|
|Built by:||Whitehaven Shipbuilding Company, Cumbria, England|