CHARLES W. MORGAN FACTS
The Charles W. Morgan is the last surviving wooden whaling ship in America. The ship can be seen at Mystic Seaport, The Museum of America and the Sea in Mystic, Connecticut. In early 2012, the ship was undergoing extensive restoration program at the Museum's shipyard to restore the vessel to a seaworthy condition. Visitors have access to the Henry B. duPont Preservation Shipyard where the Charles W. Morgan is being restored using traditional shipbuilding techniques and tools. Since arriving at Mystic Seaport in 1941, over 20 million visitors have been on the ship.
Charles W. Morgan was built in 1841 at Jethro and Zachariah Hillman shipyard in New Bedford, Massachusetts. She retired from whaling in 1921, and exhibited at Round Hill in South Dartmouth, Massachusetts until 1941 under the care of Whaling Enshrined, Inc. She was transferred to Mystic Seaport in 1941. The vessel ship was designated a National Historic Landmark and in 1966 was added to the National Register of Historic Places. In 2008, the Charles W. Morgan was sent to the Museum's shipyard for an extensive restoration project.
|Operator:||Mystic Seaport, the Museum of America and the Sea|
|Built by:||Jethro and Zachariah Hillman in New Bedford, Massachusetts|