The tall ship Bowdoin is a schooner owned by Maine Maritime Academy, in Castine, Maine. The gaff-rigged two-masted ship has a white oak hull and white pine deck. she is used to provide sail training for students of Maine Maritime Academy, and the general public. Bowdoin was added to the U.S. National Register of Historic Places in 1980 and listed as a U.S. National Historic Landmark in 1989.
Training excursions may include destinations such as Labrador or Greenland.
Bowdoin was built in 1921 at the Hodgdon Brothers Shipyard in East Boothbay, Maine. She was designed for Arctic sailing and made many trips above the Arctic Circle, under the command of Donald B. MacMillan, carrying scientists and adventures. Bowdoin was bought by the United States Navy in 1941 and put into service on the South Greenland Patrol. She was retired from Navy service in 1943. After the war, Bowdoin was restored, but fell into disrepair after 1959. The Schooner Bowdoin Association, Inc. was formed in 1967 and the ship was restored to state where it could be used for sail training. In the early 1980's it underwent a more comprehensive restoration at Percy & Small Shipyard, Maine Maritime Museum, Bath , Maine. In 1988, the ship was bought by Maine Maritime Academy.
|Operator:||Maine Maritime Academy|
|Built by:||Hodgdon Brothers Shipyard, East Boothbay, Maine.|
|Length:||26.8 m overall|