Belem is a steel-hulled three-masted barque, and the last of the 19th century French sailing ships still sailing. The main mast stands about 34 m tall, and the 22 sails have a combined sail area of around 1000 square metres. She has a crew of 16 professional merchant navy personnel, and carries up to 48 trainees. Belem is open to all members of the public, and anyone young or old can take part on training trips lasting from three to seven days. The ship can also be booked for special functions and private events. The ship is maintained by the Belem Foundation.
Belem sails the Eastern Atlantic, the English Channel, the North Sea and the Mediterranean. She has also sailed longer voyages including transatlantic crossings. Belem takes part in Tall ships events.
Belem was built in 1896 at Chantenay sur Loire, near Nantes in France. She was built as a merchant ship carrying products such as cocoa, rum and sugar from Brazil and the West Indies. She was bought by the Duke of Westminster in 1914, who converted it into a private yacht. Sir Arthur Ernest Guinness bought the ship in 1922 and renamed her the Fantôme II. In 1951, she was acquired by count Vittorio Cini of Venice, who named her the Giorgio Cini. She was then used as a sail training ship until 1965, after which it was moored for a number of years. In 1979 she was returned to her home port of Nantes in France and renamed Belem. She was restored to her original condition and relaunched in 1985, and is now used as a sail training ship.
|Built by:||Chantenay sur Loire, near Nantes, France|