CAPITAN MIRANDA FACTS
The Capitán Miranda is a three-masted schooner owned by the Uruguayan Navy. The ship has sailed to many parts of the world, participating in Tall ships events representing the country of Uruguay. The has toured over half a million nautical miles as a sail training ship.
The ship was built in Spain in 1930 and commenced service as a hydrographic vessel. She was acquired by the Uruguayan Navy in the 1960s and used as a hydrographic survey ship until 1977. In 1978 she was refitted as a sail training ship for the Uruguayan Navy. She was named Capitán Miranda after a Uruguayan hydrographer, Captain Francisco Miranda (1868-1925) who held office in Uruguay included spell as a cabinet officer, war secretary and professor of marine geography at the Naval Academy of Uruguay. In 1987, the ship set out on a 355 day journey around the world, as far as Sydney, Australia to participate in the Australian bicentenary in 1988..
|Built by:||shipyard in Cadiz, Spain|
|Length:||50.29 m overall|