AMERIGO VESPUCCI FACTS
The Amerigo Vespucci is a full-rigged three-masted tall ship based in Livorno, Italy. she is owned by the Italian Navy (Marina Militare) and used as a training ship. The steel-hulled ship is painted black with two bold horizontal white stripes. The decking is tar-bonded teak. The regular crew is about 286 sailors, and is augmented by 120 trainees from the Italian Naval Academy in summer. The vessel is run as a warship, although the only guns on board are saluting guns. The ship is named after Amerigo Vespucci (1454 – 1512) a famous Italian explorer, navigator and cartographer. The bow has a prominent figurehead of Amerigo Vespucci.
The Amerigo Vespucci takes part in Tall Ships' Races. Most of the training cruises are in European waters, but she has also sailed to the Pacific, North America and South America. There are usually public tours of the vessel on offer when the ship is berthed in port.
The Amerigo Vespucci was built in 1930 at the Naval Shipyard of Castellammare di Stabia in Naples, and commenced service in 1931. The ship was modified in 1964 to accommodate two new 8-cylinder diesel engines, which replaced the earlier smaller engines.
|Built by:||Naval Shipyard of Castellammare di Stabia, Naples, Italy|